IB DIPLOMA &
THE IB GRADING SCALE
Assessment in the IB Diploma Programme is based on a combination of final examinations and course work, which are evaluated by external examiners worldwide, and (in some cases for coursework) by internal assessment. IB examinations for each subject are held on the same days for all students worldwide – in May in the Northern Hemisphere.
IB is well known to us for excellent preparation. Success in an IB programme correlates well with success at Harvard.Marilyn McGrath LewisDirector of Admissions,
As an institution that is heavily involved in research, Leeds values the IB because it prepares the learner for when they become a university student.Hilary SteelPathways and Qualifications officer,
IB PROGRAMME & UNIVERSITY ADMISSIONS
IN THE UK:
- The British Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) tariff system now gives greater currency to IB scores over A-levels.
- An IB score of 38 points out of a maximum of 45 is equivalent to A*AA at A-level.
- Offers will usually specify a total diploma score and may ask for a specific grade in the subject of study or in related subjects. For example, Biology at Bristol: 35-38 points with 666 at higher level including two sciences or maths.
IN THE US:
- The IB Diploma Programme is a well-known and accepted “college-standard” curriculum.
- The acceptance rate of IB students into Ivy League Universities is up to 18% higher than the total population acceptance rate. IB Student Acceptance Rates and Credit Policies at the Top 25 US Universities.
- Most of the top US colleges will give you credits for your Diploma Programme subjects if you get over a certain score.
- Students who have the IB Diploma do not need to sit University Entrance Exams (Selectividad or EvAU), as they are able to validate their IB Diploma points to gain access to the Spanish system (from 24=5 to 42-45=10).
- For the extra 4 points, IB students have the advantage of two options: they can convert the grades of their subject courses, and/or pass the exams of the “fase específica” at the UNED. IB students can even do both and apply to a university with the highest score, while the students of the national system can only apply through the “fase específica”.
- Students should check with the university of their choice as some, in recognition of its high value, have established a direct IB Route.