There is a famous Spanish phrase that goes “de Madrid al cielo” (from Madrid to heaven). For many, once you have lived in Madrid, there is no other place in the world that can compete. If you are considering a change and looking to further your horizons, maybe you can consider coming to study in Madrid.
In this post, we’ll look at some of the top reasons why the capital city in Spain is a great place to study for your IB Diploma, and what Madrid can offer in terms of culture, food, sport, and more, if you decide to live at our boarding school in the heart of the city.
Here at The Global College, we offer a truly unique education. Study the IBDP in English in the heart of Madrid, taught by our highly experienced and committed teachers, with a passion for entrepreneurship and academic excellence. Should you choose to study here, we offer an all-round experience, including:
- A personalised education: Students personalise their study plan according to their strengths and higher-education preferences.
- Entrepreneurship: Students undertake their projects in teams, learn from real life experiences and benefit from expert guidance, while developing essential skills such as complex problem-solving, communication, critical thinking, creativity and teamwork.
- Tech innovation: We use the most advanced technology-based methodologies that help to personalise students’ educational experience and improve their learning outcomes.
- Health and well-being: As well as providing a safe learning environment in which students develop positive coping skills, such as self-control and resilience.
- Mentoring and career advice: All students have individual counselling to help them with their personal issues and academic choices, as well as to guide them through the process of selecting and applying to the university that best corresponds to their goals and aspirations.
- Top-class facilities: Our campus has top-notch facilities and unique individual and collaborative learning spaces, as well as themed labs.
- Boarding residence in the heart of the city: Our residence is located in the Barrio Salamanca district – a great location in Madrid to get out and explore the many parks, museums, cafes, restaurants, and more.
In addition, we also have a strategic alliance with IE University, one of the world’s leading university and MBA schools. Students at The Global College will be able to benefit from opportunities such as attending talks and conferences given by IE professors and experts, as well as access to key facilities such as the IE Centre of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, the IE Centre for Liquid Learning, and the IE Centre for Health, Wellbeing and Happiness.
Madrid is a thriving and student-friendly city. This is noticeable in the way it treats its students – whether you are interested in culture, music, or sports, there are many discounted facilities available.
The main museums such as the Prado, the Reina Sofia and the Thyssen Gallery offer cheaper student entry fees, as well as weekly free days to view their permanent collections. Many of the cinemas in Madrid also offer student discounts and you can also find great deals to go and see concerts at both the Teatro Real and Auditoria Nacional (located very close to the Global College).
For young people under 22 years of age there are additional discounts on Madrid’s metro, buses and train network. .
Madrid has some of the highest numbers in Europe when it comes to young internationals living, working and studying.
The Global College offers a rich and diverse environment in which you will mix with people from all walks of life, whether it is your classmate or fellow boarding students. There is something to be said about having a group of international friends – they do truly open your eyes to the world and introduce you to other ways of thinking.
Culture, music and sport
No matter what your interests are, you will find something to love in Madrid. The city is famous for its art museums – the Prado, Reina Sofia and Tyssen being the most recognised. There are, of course, many other options around the city to explore too – such as the Museo Sorrolla, located just across the Paseo de la Castellana from the college.
If you enjoy your music, you can see classical performances and orchestras at the iconic Teatro Real and Auditoria Nacional. There is also a fantastic music scene in Madrid, with some of the world’s leading artists regularly playing and performing at venues such as the Wizink Centre and Wanda Metropolitan stadium – the home of Atletico de Madrid.
And speaking of football, we have to mention the Madrid derby. If you love your sport, this is one not to miss. Madrid is a hub of sport – both for playing and watching. As well as being home to the current European champions, Real Madrid, there are a number of other clubs playing in La Liga, as well as Real Madrid Feminino – who won the league last season too. Madrid boasts an active sports scene, and you can easily access its many sports centres and facilities, take part in running races through the city – such as the world famous San Silvestre – as well as check out some of bike trails (there is a cycle road that goes all around Madrid, as well as up to the nearby mountain range).
Ok, it can get a bit warm in the summer, but Madrid offers a near-perfect climate. The sunny weather- around 300 days of sun annually – means Madrid offers a buzzing outdoor lifestyle – on most days you can walk in the park, sit outside on a plaza drinking coffee, or indulge in rooftop sunbathing as you admire the city views.
These are just a few of the reasons why Madrid is the perfect place to study. If you are interested in finding out more about what it’s like to study at The Global College, don’t hesitate to contact us.